The Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen
Once upon a time, cyclists conquered mountains without ever looking at a power meter. Once upon a time, those same cyclists made their move when and wherever they wanted, not because their team leader whispered to them in their earpiece. Once upon a time, nobody would dream of resorting to bikes mounted on rollers or virtual training programs to avoid the rain. The only thing that counted was being pummelled by the elements as you fought the cobblestones. This is how great Flandriens like Briek Schotte and Arthur Decabooter made a name for themselves. The Retro Tour of Flanders takes you back to a time when nobody cared about aerodynamics, their bike’s weight or numbers of watts. This historic tour of 40, 80 or 120 km through the iconic landscape of Flanders’ Finest will take place on Sunday 31 May. The provision points will offer an opportunity to reminisce about the past as you enjoy tasty refreshments. On Saturday 30 and Sunday 31 May 2020, everything will be devoted to the theme of the Retro Tour.
You can start by immersing yourself in the retro atmosphere of the cycling jumble sale and our Paterberg & Koppenberg Vintage Ride on Saturday 30 May.
Give your trusty steel steed a quick polish, pull on that old cycling jersey and come and ride with us!
All distances (40, 80 and 120 km) will depart from and finish in Oudenaarde. You will haul yourself up famous slopes in the Flemish landscape and give your everything on the narrow cobblestone and gravel lanes that connect the magnificently picturesque villages of Flanders.
We are working on our course that will take you back in time. Please wait just a bit longer... More info coming soon!
The Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen is part of a full-on Retro weekend being organised in Oudenaarde. Not only cyclists but also non-cyclists can immerse themselves in the good old days with a wide variety of peripheral activities on various squares in the centre of Oudenaarde.
Below you will find a programme that covers just a part of The Retro Ronde weekend.
Saturday 30 May 2020
- 1 p.m. - 6 p.m.: Registrations at the Abbey of Maagdendale
- 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.: Cycling jumble sale: cycling exchange with international exhibitors
- 2 p.m.: Paterberg & Koppenberg Vintage Ride: tranquil group ride of 25 km to the two legendary hills in retro-style. Start at the Abbey of Maagdendale (near the podium - advance registration required)
- 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. : Retro party with Radio Modern
Sunday 31 May 2020
- 8 a.m. - 10.45 a.m.: Registrations - Collecting the race number for the back of your jersey at the Abbey of Maagdendale
- 9 a.m. - 10.45 a.m.: Signature of the starting sheet on the podium
- 10 a.m.: Start 120 km - Official start
- 10.30 a.m.: Start 80 km - Official start
- 11 a.m.: Start 40 km - Official start
- 1.30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.: Arrival of participants, music, entertainment, dance and Kwaremont beer!
- 7 p.m.: end
Starter pack for every participant of the Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen
- Unique Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen gadget
- Road marshals on the course and at the start and finish
- Course and control card
- Tasty and charming food stops at every checkpoint
- Technical assistance
- Frame plate and start number
- Perfect directional signage on the course
- Medical service at every checkpoint and at the finish
Collecting starter pack
You will be able to collect your starter pack at the registration stand. You will receive, at the latest one week before the event, a personal confirmation email where you will find your e-ticket. Using this e-ticket, you can collect your frame plate at the registration stand.
The registration stand is open on:
- Saturday May 30th between 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the Abbey of Maagdendale
- Sunday May 31th between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. at the Abbey of Maagdendale
Mobile homes and camping
Participants willing to camp with their mobile home or tent can do so at The Outsider (1km from the center of Oudernaarde)
Location : Donkvijver, Donkstraat (parking) in Oudernaarde
Mail : email@example.com
Tel. +32 55 20 70 30
Please register via The Outsider. Once registered, you can pick up a sticker with your code and dates from the ‘Den Dronkt’ bar. Please hang this sticker on your vehicle or tent as controls take place every day. Access to sanitation is possible at The Outsider.
Per night per tent (2 people) – 10€
Per vehicle per night – 10€ (for a 5m x 6m spot) or 20€ (for a 5m x 15m spot)
Shower usage is not included in these prices.
You also determine the unique atmosphere of the event!
People who are allowed to participate in the Retro Ronde:
- Riders with a vintage racing bike
- Cyclists on ordinary vintage bicycles (before 1987, no racing bike)
- Riders on fixed gear bicycles and single speeds of steel
If there are gears on your bike, the gear levers should be mounted on the frame. No gear shifters on the handlebar. Ordinary pedals or pedals with hooks & straps. No clipless pedals. Be in a retro outfit or replica outfit without modern accessories.
People who are only allowed to participate in the 40 km-track (start at 11.00 a.m.):
- Cyclists on recent vintage bikes in a vintage outfit.
- Special vehicles: original solex, derny,...
No retro bike? Rent one.
At B&B Hof ter Kammen in Oudenaarde you can rent a suitable retro bike. Contact them directly via www.hofterkammen.be.
The following persons are not allowed to participate:
- Racing bikes with gears on the handlebar and/or with clipless pedals
- Mountain bikes or electric bicycles
- Non- retro looking bikes
- Carbon bicycles or units
- Riding a retro bike, but without a retro-looking outfit
When registering for the event, you confirm to have read the regulations above.
In case of doubt, do not hesitate to send an email with a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
Despite our special participation conditions, we recommend all participants to wear a modern crash helmet. Safety above all. Those that prefer a sausage helmet or cap, must realize that these may not provide adequate protection in the event of a possible crash.
Take part and support the fight against diabetes!
Our mission is to inspire society and make people realise anyone is capable of great performances, with or without limitations. You just need to focus on your possibilities instead of your limitations.
Diabetes is threatening to become a worldwide epidemic. By 2030 1 out of 10 people will have diabetes, which amounts to over a million people. These numbers are extremely worrying. Type 2 diabetes, the most common type of the disease, is mainly caused by an unhealthy diet and lack of exercise.
That's why we want to pay extra attention to diabetes and show that sportive achievements are perfectly achievable for people with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, with the required medical supervision. In addition we want to point out the preventative power of exercise in people with a increased risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Exercise is an essential component in both the prevention and treatment of diabetes.
Support the fight against diabetes by adding 5 euro to your registration fee!
The essential Guide for cycling in Flanders
All you ever needed to know about cycling in Flanders. Discover impressive routes, challenging bucket lists and tips to plan your stay!
Centrum Ronde van Vlaanderen
Have a rewarding drink in our cycling pub, relive the heroism of the Ronde and share the experience with fellow cyclists. Finish your Tour of Flanders in the Centrum Ronde van Vlaanderen. The cycling hub for the Ronde, near the finish in Oudenaarde.
We are very much interested in how you have experienced our event. Please send us your remarks, reactions or ideas. We would love to hear from you.