The Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen
Cycling once was a sport without scientific measurements and technological gadgets, without aerodynamics and wind tunnels. Cycling once was a sport for the Flandriens, who would feel their woollen jersey become two pounds heavier in the rain. The Retro Tour of Flanders takes you back to a time when carbon did not exist and pounding the cobbles was an art.
On Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 June 2019, everything will be devoted to the theme of The Retro Ronde. The more antique your outfit and the heavier the steel of your bicycle, the more prepared you will be for an unforgettable tour of 40, 80 or 120 km through the iconic landscape of Flanders’ Finest on Sunday 16 June. We will immerse you in the time of Briek Schotte and Arthur Decabooter. Let yourself be surprised by the exceptional atmosphere and the tasty delicacies that will boost your energy levels at the feed zones. On Saturday 15 June 2019, you will already get to know the retro atmosphere during the cycling jumble sale.
Get your steel steed out of the garage, fish out that woollen jersey from the cupboard and come and cycle with us!
All distances (40, 80 and 120 km) will depart from and finish in Oudenaarde. You will haul yourself up famous slopes in the Flemish landscape and give your everything on the narrow cobblestone and gravel lanes that connect the magnificently picturesque villages of Flanders.
Discover the course soon!
The Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen is part of a full-on Retro weekend being organised in Oudenaarde. Not only cyclists but also non-cyclists can immerse themselves in the good old days with a wide variety of peripheral activities on various squares in the centre of Oudenaarde. More information on these activities will follow later.
Below you will find a programme that covers just a part of The Retro Ronde weekend.
Saturday 15 June 2019
- 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.: Registrations
- 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.: Cycling jumble sale: cycling exchange with international exhibitors (Maagdendale)
- 11 a.m.: Paterberg & Koppenberg Vintage Ride: tranquil group ride of 25 km to the two legendary hills in retro-style. Start at the podium (advance registration required)
- 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.: Race on Rollers (registration necessary, limited at 64 participants) with Lindy Hop of Louis Lou. (Maagdendale)
Sunday 16 June 2019
- 8 a.m. - 10.45 a.m.: Registrations - Collecting the race number for the back of your jersey (Maagdendale)
- 9 a.m. - 10.45 a.m.: Signature of the starting sheet on the podium (Maagdendale)
- 10 a.m.: Start 120 km - Official group start on the Markt
- 10.30 a.m.: Start 80 km - Official group start on the Markt
- 11 a.m.: Start 40 km - Official group start on the Markt
- 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.: Retro jumble sale: Petanque - Folk games - Carousel - Passage of the riders - Music by The Ladies of the Sixties and The Entertainers (Markt)
- 1.30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.: Arrival of participants, music and dance of L'Amicale de la Nouvelle Orleans, entertainment and Kwaremont beer! (Maagdendale)
- 7 p.m.: end
Starter pack for every participant of the Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen
- Unique Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen gadget
- Road marshals on the course and at the start and finish
- Course and control card
- Tasty and charming food stops at every checkpoint
- Technical assistance
- Frame plate and start number
- Perfect directional signage on the course
- Medical service at every checkpoint and at the finish
Collecting starter pack
You will be able to collect your starter pack at the registration stand. You will receive, at the latest one week before the event, a personal confirmation email where you will find your e-ticket. Using this e-ticket, you can collect your frame plate at the registration stand.
The registration stand is open on:
- Saturday 15 june between 10 AM and 6 PM in Oudenaarde
- Sunday 16 june between 8 AM and 11 AM in Oudenaarde
Mobile homes and camping
Participants willing to camp with their mobile home or tent can do so at The Outsider (1km from the center of Oudernaarde)
Location : Donkvijver, Donkstraat (parking) in Oudernaarde
Mail : email@example.com
Tel. +32 55 20 70 30
Please register via The Outsider. Once registered, you can pick up a sticker with your code and dates from the ‘Den Dronkt’ bar. Please hang this sticker on your vehicle or tent as controls take place every day. Access to sanitation is possible at The Outsider.
Per night per tent (2 people) – 10€
Per vehicle per night – 10€ (for a 5m x 6m spot) or 20€ (for a 5m x 15m spot)
Shower usage is not included in these prices.
Take part and support the fight against diabetes!
Our mission is to inspire society and make people realise anyone is capable of great performances, with or without limitations. You just need to focus on your possibilities instead of your limitations.
Diabetes is threatening to become a worldwide epidemic. By 2030 1 out of 10 people will have diabetes, which amounts to over a million people. These numbers are extremely worrying. Type 2 diabetes, the most common type of the disease, is mainly caused by an unhealthy diet and lack of exercise.
That's why we want to pay extra attention to diabetes and show that sportive achievements are perfectly achievable for people with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, with the required medical supervision. In addition we want to point out the preventative power of exercise in people with a increased risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Exercise is an essential component in both the prevention and treatment of diabetes.
Support the fight against diabetes by adding 5 euro to your registration fee!
You also determine the unique atmosphere of the event!
People who are allowed to participate in the Retro Ronde:
- Riders with a vintage racing bike
- Cyclists on ordinary vintage bicycles (before 1987, no racing bike)
- Riders on fixed gear bicycles and single speeds of steel
If there are gears on your bike, the gear levers should be mounted on the frame. No gear shifters on the handlebar. Ordinary pedals or pedals with hooks & straps. No clipless pedals. Be in a retro outfit or replica outfit without modern accessories.
People who are only allowed to participate in the 40 km-track (start at 11.00 a.m.):
- Cyclists on recent vintage bikes in a vintage outfit.
- Special vehicles: original solex, derny,...
No retro bike? Rent one.
At B&B Hof ter Kammen in Oudenaarde you can rent a suitable retro bike. Contact them directly via www.hofterkammen.be.
The following persons are not allowed to participate:
- Racing bikes with gears on the handlebar and/or with clipless pedals
- Mountain bikes or electric bicycles
- Non- retro looking bikes
- Carbon bicycles or units
- Riding a retro bike, but without a retro-looking outfit
When registering for the event, you confirm to have read the regulations above.
In case of doubt, do not hesitate to send an email with a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
Despite our special participation conditions, we recommend all participants to wear a modern crash helmet. Safety above all. Those that prefer a sausage helmet or cap, must realize that these may not provide adequate protection in the event of a possible crash.
Saturday 15 june 2019
- Paterberg & Koppenberg Vintage Ride – 3 €
- Cycling jumble sale – see registration form for pricing
- Race on Rollers – 5 euro (limited at 64 participants)
Sunday 16 june 2019
- Cycling jumble sale (limited availability) – see registration form for pricing (for exhibitors only)
- Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen
The breakaway (until 03/06)
The Peloton (from 03/06 until 14/06)
- For a group registration, you must have at least 10 people (across various distances); if you are with fewer persons, your group will be cancelled and you will lose the reservation.
- Group registrations may only be done using the official online registration module. Excel lists etc. are no longer accepted.
- On the registration form, you must first create a group. You will then receive an e-mail with your group name and group code. (You can manage the group at all times with the help of this code and your chosen password (do not forget this!)). Subsequently, you can add or remove participants. Only the group leader may validate participants. You can add as many participants to your group as you wish.
- Registrations can be collected as a single package (all together) or individually. Please clearly indicate this on the registration form. If you choose to collect all race numbers together, this can only be done by the group leader. For individual collections, all participants will receive a separate confirmation e-mail with all information required to successfully collect their race number.
- Once the group is complete, the group leader must pay for the entire group. Registrations are confirmed only when the group has been submitted and paid for. At this time, NO CHANGES may be made to your group. Subsequently, changes to your group can only be made on-the-spot at the registration stand. For this, an administration fee of 5 eur will be charged per change made.
- CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE REGISTRATION MODULE
The organising party advises avoiding intense physical activities without being properly prepared. Ensure that you make wise decisions regarding the distance you wish to cover and/or the tempo you want to maintain. If you want to take part in competitive sport and at a high intensity, it is advised to undergo an annual medical examination.
It is not obliged to present medical certificates. It is up to the sportsman/woman to decide how he/she wants to interpret the information received during a medical examination. Thus, the organising party cannot be held responsible for any matters regarding this.More information about health & sports can be found here.
Exercise is fun, healthy and safe for most people. However, some people have an increased risk of problems during physical activity, which may require extra medical follow-up. If you meet one or several of the conditions below, it is recommended you contact your doctor or undergo a sports-medical examination before taking up more intensive forms of exercise:
- You are taking medication to treat high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, pulmonary disease.
- At some point you suffered from coughing, shortness of breath or other breathing disorders during or after efforts or you have asthma.
- You smoked in the past 5-10 years or you have not stopped smoking for longer than 6 months after a period of 5-10 years.
- You have high blood pressure and/or increased cholesterol value
- You fainted or became dizzy during or after an effort
- You have ever had palpitations, arrhythmias or pain in the chest during or after doing exercise or you have ever been told that you have a heart murmur
- A member of your family, younger than 55, suddenly died because of health problems (cardiovascular disease, cot death)
- You have problems of the liver, kidneys or thyroid gland, diabetes
By signing up you automatically agree with the general terms and conditions.
General terms and conditions
You have registered for an event of Peloton, a cooperation between GOLAZO SPORTS NV, having its registered office at Schoebroekstraat 8, 3583 Paal-Beringen, VAT BE 0442.115.211, hereinafter referred to as GOLAZO and FLANDERS CLASSICS NV, having its registered office at Harensesteenweg 228, 1800 Vilvoorde, VAT BE 0818.388.802. hereinafter referred to as FLANDERS CLASSCIS; together referred to as ORGANIZER. GOLAZO and FLANDERS CLASSICS are your point of contact for all your questions. GOLAZO can be reached every working day between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Telephone: 011/45.99.00 - E-mail: email@example.com; FLANDERS CLASSICS can be reached every working day between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Telephone: 02/303 35 00 - E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Article 1. Registration
At the time of registering, the Participant declares to be at least 18 or to have his legal guardian's consent to register for the event. The registration is only valid if the registration form has been completely and truthfully filled out, the registration fee and payment for extras have been paid in full and these general terms and conditions have been accepted.
Article 2. Right of withdrawal
The registration falls under Art. VI, 53, 12° WER for which the right of withdrawal is excluded. In case of non-participation, regardless of the reason, the registration fee and possible extras cannot be reclaimed.
Article 3. Cancellation of the event
If the event is cancelled on the grounds of exceptional circumstances, ORGANIZER shall, in so far is possible, offer the participants an equivalent alternative in the form of the possibility to register for free for a new/the next edition of the same event, or another event of ORGANIZER. For each event ORGANIZER will decide which of these alternatives apply to the event. Under no circumstance can ORGANIZER be obliged to reimburse the registration fee and possible extras (such as merchandising, T-shirts, training schedule, charity, etc.).
Article 4. Participation
Participation in the event is only possible with a valid registration and if the following age requirements have been met: Running events
- From 10 km: at least 12 years old at the time of participation
- From 21 km: at least 16 years old at the time of participation
- From 42 km: at least 18 years old at the time of participation
Participants under the age of 16 must always be accompanied by a person older than 18.
During the participation, proof of registration (number on chest, handle bars, wristband, etc.) must be visible at all times. The participant shall always respect the environment. The participant shall look after his/her own safety and the other participants. Participants must follow the instructions of the organisation, medical teams and police. The Highway Code needs to be respected. The organisation reserves the right to exclude participants from participation who do not respect the provisions of these general terms and conditions or pose a danger to themselves or third parties.
Article 5. Prices
The specified prices are always in Euros and inclusive of VAT, unless explicitly specified otherwise.
Article 6. Payment
On registering, the participant must pay the full amount of the registration (registration fee and extras) using the provided online payment system. ORGANIZER believes it has taken all possible and relevant precautions and as such acts as a normal and diligent online-seller. Possible theft can therefore not be invoked against ORGANIZER.
Article 7. Change of registration
Participants who want to transfer their registration for an event to another person can do so on the day of the event on-the-spot. The administrative cost as indicated on-the-spot is payable for this. Participants who want to change the distance can do so on-the-spot, on the day of the event. The administrative cost as indicated on-the-spot is payable for this. If a supplement is owed for the newly chosen distance, this will also be charged.
Article 8. Healthy & safe sports
Participation requires good health. The participant declares to meet this condition. Before participation, the organisation recommends a preventive sports medical examination at a certified sports doctor.
Article 9. Personal details and intellectual property rights
All information of the participants is for ORGANIZER's administration. However, it may be passed on to the parties who are under contract to ORGANIZER. The Protection of privacy act of 8 December 1992 relating to data processing lays down the access right to the data and the correction thereof. At all times the participant can request the correction of his/her personal data based on the contact details specified in these general terms and conditions. Through your participation to the event you declare you agree with a possible use of your details, photograph or portrait right in print, film, video, etc. for promotional purposes of ORGANIZER and its events, without claiming payment for this. The participant states he/she is familiar with the fact that techniques may be used that allow his/her exact location to be tracked at any moment by picking up signals of the chip, included in the proof of participation which the participant is wearing. The participant gives consent to ORGANIZER to make this information public so that it can be viewed by everyone. The participant gives consent to ORGANIZER to track his/her location real-time (live tracking) as described above, to save this data in a file, to provide it to third parties and to publish it online, through social media and mobile applications.
Article 10. Comments/complaints
Comments need to be submitted via one of the channels specified in the heading. ORGANIZER shall always, in all reasonableness, try to treat every comment within 10 days upon receipt through one of the aforementioned channels. If this is not possible, it shall also be notified to the participant and an alternative timing is suggested.
Article 11. Validity of clauses
If one or a number of articles of these conditions are void or unlawful, for whatever reason, this does not prejudice the validity of the other parts of the conditions.
The essential Guide for cycling in Flanders
All you ever needed to know about cycling in Flanders. Discover impressive routes, challenging bucket lists and tips to plan your stay!
Centrum Ronde van Vlaanderen
Have a rewarding drink in our cycling pub, relive the heroism of the Ronde and share the experience with fellow cyclists. Finish your Tour of Flanders in the Centrum Ronde van Vlaanderen. The cycling hub for the Ronde, near the finish in Oudenaarde.
We are very much interested in how you have experienced our event. Please send us your remarks, reactions or ideas. We would love to hear from you.